Stapleford & Trowell Boundary Brook Action Group Update, thanks to Councillor Don Pringle

Good morning everyone, it’s good to see the drainage work has been completed, here’s hoping that it works when tested by the UK weather.

I have 2 updates from the Environment Agency, sorry that there is a lot of reading, but there is some good information.

Dear Don

Enquiry regarding – questions relating to Boundary Brook

Thank you for your enquiry which was received 29/01/2021, profuse apologies for the delay. This was due to works being carried out by our Technical Team.

We respond to requests under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulations 2004.

Please find attached our FAQ sheet, this contains the response to the questions raised.

We can now confirm that the Trowell gauge will update at 06:00 and 15:00 daily. This was the original intention for the gauge, but was delayed by technical issues. These updates will be reflected in our river levels on the internet page.

Please refer to Open Government Licence which explains the permitted use of this information.

Please get in touch if you have any further queries or contact us within two months if you’d like us to review the information we have sent.

Yours sincerely

Trowell – Flood Risk Information and FAQs.

Which organisation is responsible for my stretch of Boundary Brook?

Environment Agency

The Environment Agency carries out maintenance, improvement or construction work on main rivers to manage flood risk. We are also responsible for working in partnership with the Met Office to provide flood forecasts and warnings. The main river map (link below) shows which rivers are designated as ‘main rivers’. In Trowell, Boundary Brook downstream of Stapleford Road and River Erewash are main rivers. Other rivers are called ‘ordinary watercourses’.

Lead Local Flood Authorities, District Councils and Internal Drainage Boards carry out flood risk management on ordinary watercourses. To see a map of the Main River network, please visit:

Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA)

LLFAs are county councils and unitary authorities. They are responsible for managing and investigating the risk of flooding from surface water, groundwater and ordinary watercourses (smaller watercourses including Boundary upstream of Stapleford Road) and lead on community recovery. Your LLFA is Nottinghamshire County Council. For more information, please contact: Nottinghamshire County Council 0300 500 80 80

  1. Who owns my stretch of river?

The owner of a watercourse is usually the owner of the land that the watercourse runs on or under. Where the watercourse is on the boundary of the land, the landowner is responsible for the watercourse up to its centre. If you own a watercourse, for example a river, culvert, brook or mill stream, you must maintain the river beds and banks and not obstruct the water flow. You should also call the Environment Agency incident hotline 0800 807060 to report flooding, collapsed or badly damaged banks, or any blockages which could cause flooding to main rivers. Further guidance on owning a watercourse can be found here:

  1. What about other sources of flooding?

Water companies play a major role in managing flood risk. They manage the risk of flooding to water supply and sewerage facilities and flood risks from their infrastructure. For matters relating to water supply and sewerage infrastructure Severn Trent Water can be contacted on 0800 783 4444.

  1. Where can I find details for recent planning applications, and whether flood risk has been considered?

Information on local planning applications can usually be found on your local authority’s website here: Planning applications for developments within flood zones require a flood risk assessment to be submitted with the application. Find out more about flood zones and flood risk assessments here: The Environment Agency provides expert statutory and discretionary advice to planners, developers, and communities, provides evidence on the capacity and value of the environment to aid decision-making, and attracts investment into the environment. The Environment Agency’s External Consultation Checklist informs Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) of the types of development where we should be consulted. It describes the categories of development that could potentially impact on the environment and includes those for which we are listed as a statutory consultee in Schedule 4 of the Development Management Procedure Order (DMPO) and current Government planning policy. With particular reference to flood risk, the Environment Agency is consulted on certain types of development within Flood Zones 2 and 3. Paragraph 155 of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) states that where development is proposed in areas at risk of flooding ‘the development should be made safe for its lifetime without increasing flood risk elsewhere’. Whilst the onus is on applicants to demonstrate this in a site-specific Flood Risk Assessment (FRA), the LPA will ultimately need to satisfy themselves that this requirement has been met. Depending on the particular flood risks to a site, the LPA may be required to seek the views of the Environment Agency and/or the Lead Local Flood Authority

For further details on specific planning applications, please contact your local LPA: Broxtowe Borough Council 0115 917 7777

  1. Where can I find a map that will show the flood risk for my area?

You can view flood risk maps for your area by visiting: Type your postcode in the search box on the right-hand side to zoom into your area, and then click and drag the map to pan around. You can switch between maps of flood risk from rivers or from surface water by selecting the different options in the drop-down menu on the left-hand side. To find out more about your area’s long-term flood risk, please visit:

  1. What maintenance will be carried in the area by the Environment Agency?

The Boundary Brook and the River Erewash are designated as Main River which gives the Environment Agency permissive powers to carry out maintenance where the level of flood risk to properties justifies the use of public funding. The Environment Agency carry out scheduled maintenance activities which include: Routine maintenance programme:

• Grass cut 3 times per year along the flood bank (only on the footpath side of the fence line).

• Grass cut (strim) 270m channel side section of the Boundary brook starting from the outfall working upstream

• Main river channel walk through to check on conveyance at the end of summer or when reported by residents.

• Tree works at the end of each year which focus on siding up branches and vegetation that may affect channel conveyance of flows.

• The channel and outfall is checked and cleared before, during and after heavy rainfall events as part of our incident response.

• The Outfall (concrete structure with a metal non return valve with mechanical winch) is checked and maintained weekly, which may include, silt and blockage removal, greasing hinges (at least 3 times a year) and operational tests to check it’s working effectively. The outfall is designed to prevent water from the River Erewash flowing into the Boundary brook during high water events. When the water level on the Erewash rises, it pushes the flap, or non-return valve shut, restricting this additional flow from entering the Boundary Brook. When the Erewash water level recedes, the flap is able to open to allow the Boundary Brook to continue to discharge. To see the maintenance schedule, please visit: and-coastal-maintenance-programme

We also carry out ad hoc maintenance works as and when issues are reported. Please call the Environment Agency Incident hotline 0800 807060 to report collapsed or badly damaged banks, or any blockages which could cause flooding to main rivers.

  1. What work has been done and is anything being planned for the future?

Following business case approval for a Boundary Brook Flood Alleviation Scheme, the Environment Agency carried out appraisal work in 2016/17 to assess the capital options to reduce flood risk from Boundary Brook to the communities of Trowell and Stapleford. The project was closed as options which were identified as being technically feasible in reducing flood risk, which included an upstream storage reservoir and a section of realigned channel, could not attract sufficient funding to allow the project to progress further. Partnership contributions had been secured towards scheme delivery but this still left a significant funding shortfall. There would also have been downstream increases in flood risk as a result of the channel realignment work to address which would have incurred additional cost. A free Flood Warning Service was introduced in August 2020 and all residents at flood risk from the Boundary Brook received a letter with details of the service and how to sign-up to it. This is in addition to the existing River Erewash Flood Warning. Funding has been secured from the Trent Regional Flood and Coastal Committee for Property Flood Resilience (PFR) products which reduce the impact of flooding. The Environment Agency appointed flood risk specialist JBA Consulting to carry out PFR surveys at each property identified to be eligible for the scheme. These are the properties at highest flood risk including those that have suffered from internal flooding. The information from the PFR surveys will be used to develop a business case to deliver the products identified as being required.

  1. What is the Flood Warning Service and how do I register?

The Environment Agency issue Flood Alerts and Flood Warnings to inform the public of expected flooding from Boundary Brook and River Erewash.

Flood Alerts are issued when low-lying land and roads are expected to flood. This is an early indication of possible further flooding.

Flood Warnings are issued when property flooding is expected. Upon receiving a Flood Warning, immediate action may be required to protect your property. You can sign up to receive Flood Alerts and Flood Warnings by phone, email or text message if your home or business is at risk of flooding.

To register for this free service, please visit: You’ll need to provide: – the address you’re registering – a phone number which you can be contacted on day or night – an email address You can also register, update your details or cancel your account by calling

Floodline: 0345 988 1188 (24-hour service).

River Levels Online Current river levels at our gauge stations can be viewed here:

River levels are updated at least once a day during normal flows, and up to hourly during flooding. Levels for the River Ryton can be viewed at the nearby Worksop river gauge.

  1. How can I help to make my property flood resilient?

There are many things you can do to help protect your property and your belongings from flooding. A great way to start is by creating a personal flood plan. A template can be found here:

For advice and information on property resilience products and simple ways to reduce the damage caused by flood water, please visit The National Flood Forum (,

which is a charity aimed at supporting individuals and communities at risk of flooding. The National Flood Forum also provide an independent directory of property flood resilience products, called Blue Pages (,

which can help to advise and inform you of what’s available to help reduce the risk of flooding to your property.

  1. Where can I get sandbags?

Sandbags are a short-term and relatively cheap way to manage flooding but only if they are filled and placed correctly. However, they are not as effective as purpose-designed flood resilience products (please see for information on such products).

Residents are encouraged to make sure their property is protected as far as possible. When flooding is likely, Nottinghamshire County Council may have limited supplies of sandbags to provide to vulnerable residents, who are unable to provide their own. For further information on sandbags and eligibility criteria please visit:

If you are not eligible to receive sandbags from your council, you can buy unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand from most DIY stores and builders’ merchants, but remember that if there is a flood expected in your area, demand may exceed supply as people rush to buy them. In an emergency you can use alternatives such as pillow cases or refuse sacks and fill them with garden soil. For information on how to use sandbags properly for flood protection, please visit: to-prepare-for-a-flood

  1. How can I help my community during a flood?

You can help your community before, during and after flooding by becoming a community Flood Warden. Flood Wardens are volunteers who are trained by the Environment Agency and the Local Authority, and can help prepare the community by:

 Monitoring the rivers for obstructions and hazards, and reporting these to the Environment Agency

 Contributing to the creation of a community flood plan

 Helping to prepare the local community

 Offering support during flooding

 Keeping residents informed of the ongoing situation

 Monitoring the situation locally and reporting back to the Environment Agency and local authorities

Activities that Flood Wardens do not carry out include:

x Putting themselves at risk or entering flood water

x Rescuing people or animals (this is the role of the emergency services

x Unblocking watercourses (this must be done by professionals)

x Closing roads or diverting traffic

If you are interested in becoming a Flood Warden, or would like help to create a community flood plan, please contact the Environment Agency on 0114 282 5312 or and we will be happy to provide more information. We will let you know if there is an existing scheme in your community which you can join, or help you to set one up.

Additional Grant Funding As a community, you can also apply for a grant for a community resilience store, which can be used to store flood resilience equipment such as sandbags and flood boards.

For more information, please contact your local authority, who can help by identifying grant funding from other organisations such as the Regional Flood and Coastal Committee (RFCC).

Useful Telephone Numbers

Broxtowe Borough Council 0115 917 7777

Environment Agency =

Customer service line incident hotline 03708 506 506

Incident Hotline 0800 80 70 60

Floodline 03459 88 11 88

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s