Cannabis is a Class B drug. Possession of a Class B drug is punishable by up to five years in prison, an unlimited fine or both.
Supply of cannabis is punishable by up to 14 years in prison, an unlimited fine or both. Police can also issue a warning or an on-the-spot fine of £90 if you’re found with cannabis.
Not in my neighbourhood
Nottinghamshire Police is committed to robustly investigating crime associated with cannabis in its bid to protect the public.
Those who choose to grow cannabis at home must consider the impact and potential risks involved – not only to themselves and their own property, but also the wider neighbouring community.
While some of these offences involve cannabis being produced illegally, a large number relate to innocent members of the community who suffer as a result of offenders targeting the wrong property.
Nottinghamshire Police is asking members of the community to look out for signs that cannabis growers are active in their neighbourhood.
Not In My Neighbourhood shows the dangers posed by residential cannabis factories and gives advice on action to take.
Signs that could point to a cannabis cultivation include:
- Strong, sickly smell given off by cannabis plants.
- High levels of condensation.
- Constantly covered or blocked off windows.
- Cannabis growing equipment transported to and from house.
- External modifications to the property, like ventilation.
- Constant buzz of ventilation.
- People loitering.
- Strong and constant lighting day and night.
- Unsociable coming and going at all hours.
- Lots of power cables.
Advice for landlords and letting agents
If you own or let a property you need to be aware of your responsibility to ensure cannabis is not grown on your premises.
Consequences of allowing cannabis cultivation include reduction in property values, increased insurance premiums, hostile tenants, and up to 14 years imprisonment and a criminal record.
Use the guide below to understand your rights and responsibilities.
Nottinghamshire Police is working with its partners to help put a stop to cannabis cultivation.
Our partners include:
- Nottingham Crime and Drug Partnership
- Nottingham City Council
- Nottinghamshire County Council
- Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue
- Nottingham City Homes
- Recovery in Nottingham
- Rushcliffe Borough Council
- Gedling Borough Council
- Broxtowe Borough Council